jueves, 13 de agosto de 2009

Ser/estar (to be)

Ser/estar

This is one of the major difficulties encountered when learning Spanish.

> The verb ser is used to indicate, identify, we have the verb in Korean ‘이다’
  • Yo soy Marta (I'm Marta).
  • Esto es un escritorio (This is a desk)
> The verb ser also used to indicate professions
  • Soy profesor (I am a teacher)
  • Soy estudiante (I am a student )
> When is a temporary activity, something you're doing, you use the verb estar:
  • Yo estoy estudiando (I am studying)
Let:
  • is that you are →Soy estudiante (I am a student)
  • is something you do → Estoy estudiando (I’m studying)

> The verb ser is used to indicate origin, nationality.
  • Soy de Valencia →I'm from Valencia
  • Soy española →I am Spanish.

Let's now one of the common mistakes:
  • Yo soy en Valencia. Because is the literal translate of I am in Valencia.
This phrase means that the speaker is in Valencia when he was really saying he is Valencia.

> To say that you are at a place we use the verb estar.
  • Estoy en Valencia (I am in Valencia)
  • Estoy en casa (I'm at home)
Trick, if you are going to use “en”, use verb estar.

This also serves to indicate the location of objects:
  • El libro está encima de la mesa (The book is on the table)
  • El gato está al lado del escritorio (The cat is next to the desk)

> For moods and emotions can be used two verbs: ser and estar but have different meanings. Consider these examples:

  • Yo soy feliz → Soy una persona feliz siempre.
  • (I am happy) →( I am a happy person always.)
  • Yo estoy feliz → en este momento tengo felicidad.
  • (I am happy)→ (at this moment I have happiness)
  • Él es triste. → Es una persona que siempre tiene tristeza.
  • (He is sad) →(is a person who is always sad)
  • Él está triste. → En este momento le ha pasado algo que hace que tenga tristeza
  • (He is sad) →At this time, something has happened to him that makes him with sadness
  • Él es feo. →es una persona que no tiene belleza.
  • (He is ugly) →(is a person who hasn`t beauty)
  • Él está feo. → tiene un corte de pelo malo, lleva ropa fea, por algo en este momento notiene belleza pero puede tenerla.
  • (He is ugly)→ (has a bad haircut, ugly clothing, for somenthing is ugly a this time, he hasen´t beauty now but he can has it)

  • Yo soy bueno. → es una persona que tiene bondad, que hace cosas buenas
  • (I’m good)→ (is a person with kidness, vich makes good things)
  • Yo estoy bueno. → persona que tiene buen físico, o buen estado de salud
  • (I´m good)→ (is a person who has good physical→is hot, or who has good health)

Well, this is all for today. Later we will study this more carefully.

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario

aprendospanish@gmail.com